Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Resolutions

I’m awake in the middle of the night thinking about the world and how my world relates to it. I’m surfing news sites and reading about the mess in Iraq and how the U.S. is creating more problems in the Middle East than we’re solving. I read that U.S. missteps are only inviting more terrorism, as opposed to discouraging its spread.

Next, I read an evaluation by Homeland Security of U.S. cities: (link)

I was disappointed but not surprised to learn my homeland, Cleveland and its suburbs, is ranked near the bottom or lowest for preparedness for terrorism. Apparently our region is one where "formalized governance (leadership and planning) across regions has lagged."

That statement echoed many of our observations made on this blog. Think about it, how does another example of poor fundamental structure do anything to help attract new businesses to Northeast Ohio? It's symptomatic of greater problems, bigger issues.

Emergency preparedness is definitely an issue where the region’s political leaders can have impact, can exact improvements. However, they seem to spend too much investment in endeavors where they get great visibility but have little impact or accountability.

I prefer they invest their time and the other citizen resources on getting the infrastructure fundamentals right so the rest of our regional challenges have a better chance for resolution. ~Jim

1 Comments:

Blogger  said...

Jim, They pretty much only 'salt Carthage'.

Stay on groovin' safari,
Tor

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home